SDPC Update, January 2017
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Posted by: Penny Murray
A group of schools, state agencies and marketplace vendors have come together to form the Student Data Privacy Consortium (SDPC) focused on developing “tactical” data privacy solutions – implementable tools and practices to support their everyday challenges as data stewards. Over the past two years this group of volunteer members have identified some critical areas of collaboration that have not been addressed. The Consortium is proud to provide an update on the work, encourage you to participate in the collaborative volunteer work and invite you to an upcoming special event.
Web and Community Site: The privacy.a4l.org provides background on the Consortium, a listing of proposed projects, and a Community site for members full of resources populated by members and non-members.
Privacy Contract Framework: The first project of the Consortium is to help LEAs, SEAs and Consortiums establish their own privacy contract wording to use with vendors and also from “alliances” within their own states to expand the contract wording usage. Currently there are activities to build these alliances in ten states with California and Massachusetts already utilizing their own contract wording across hundreds of districts. Included in the first project are:
- Build a Contract Tool: A tool that allows those wanting to use one set of privacy contract wording with all their vendors, instead of the one-offs used now. It allows you to start with USED’s PTAC guidance wording and then view multiple other contract clauses in use nationally to let you steal from the best!
- SDPC App Tool: An “application inventory tool” that allows LEAs to post their applications in use locally, an actual PDF of the signed privacy wording of their contract with vendors, grade level and data utilized for easy organization, management and easy transparency for parents, community members, etc.
- ESSA Accountability Plan Support: the Consortium is gathering a group of interested states developing their ESSA accountability plans which need to include how SEAs will support LEAs in their roles as data privacy stewards for learners.
SDPC Summit at A4L Meetings: The first gathering of members, partners and interested organizations will be held in conjunction with the Access 4 Learning (A4L) North American Annual Meetings in Santa Cruz CA on Feb 28, 2017. We hope you can join us for a day full of expert access, peer collaboration and direction setting for the Community.
- Privacy Panel: Come interact with a panel of experts – from local to federal levels. Included in the conversation will be Kathleen Styles, Chief Privacy Officer for the US Department of Education.
- Privacy Track: A series of 6 one hour sessions exhibiting SDPC work done to date, effective practices in privacy at all levels, and open discussions around what the “next” is!
- SDPC Social: Our inaugural event – no not the Presidential – to share conversations and celebrate the work. Register for the meetings before January 20, 2017 using the discount code SDPCsocial and get $50 off!
Download SDPC Update, January 2017 (PDF) ->